Reserve a spot: a.schoolspecial@gmail.com

Afterschool Special - March 19

Posted: Saturday 20 March 2010 | Posted by afterschool special |

WOWEE! Last night was our first Afterschool Special... and our last. Just kidding.  I can't believe how calm and collected I was during the actual dinner considering the major panic I had when I began cooking at 2 pm.  When it took me 2 hours to make batter for 20 biscuits, I knew I was fucked.  But everything turned out more beautifully than I could've expected. People, I think, had some good laughs.  and I have some thank you's to dole out:

Thanks to the stress-case Marlon running around town all day (his dissertation had to be put on hold for more important matters... like finding a water pitcher), our dining room came together perfectly.  The Roseanne projecting on the ceiling (Marlon insists that this is, to him, quintessential American), the red gingham tablecloth and the framed family portraits really brought it all together.  Don't ask where all his other shit went (it piled high in MY bedroom). 

Thank you for all the guests that came.  I can't stress this enough.  Thanks for giving us a chance.  Thanks for traveling all the way to HACKNEY (Angela Yee....).  I apologize again to Pierre, the vegetarian, and Shafiq, for feeding you bacon by accident.  Thank you to Leslie, the Texan who was jetlagged beyond belief, for not announcing to the room how inauthentic my American food was.  and thanks to those who offered me some valuable feedback, will definitely be tweaking the portions and menu until it's PERFECT!

But yea, I had a great time being holed up in the hot kitchen while everyone drank and ate and chatted.  It couldn't seem any more natural for an introvert like me. I liked feeding people. People like me feeding them.  Despite the fact that all the guests left by midnight, and so Marlon and I were still cleaning by 2 am (i HATE cleaning with a passion), I would still do it again.  oh shit, I have to do it again tonight. fuck.





























0 comments:

Post a Comment