Reserve a spot: a.schoolspecial@gmail.com

Afterschool Special - March 27

Posted: Sunday 28 March 2010 | Posted by angela |

Hey guys,

Thought I'd update y'all. So last night was another success. Things are getting more streamlined, less stressful, tastier. We tried a new buttermilk fried chicken recipe, and I have to say..... it. was. Beyond. The recipe called for leaving the chicken in a brine (a really intricate brine consisting of peppercorns, salt, thyme, parsley, honey, bay leaves, lemon zest) for 12 hours, which renders the meat moist and delicious. I often will order chicken at restaurants only to find that the coating is's flavorful, but then the meat, dry and bland, always puts me off. The brine really did the trick, and I don't think I'll ever have chicken any other way from now on.

The spicy mac n' cheese, as delectable as it is, was dropped for the menu this week and replaced by a crunchy curried waldorf-ish salad with apples, walnuts, blue cheese and like, alot of other stuff. I think it paired better with chicken than the mac. But as a stand-alone, the mac is by far the more satisfying option.

I was a real nazi last night about having everyone dip their cookies in the milk. I even wanted the lactose-intolerant girl do it. I KNOW milk doesn't sit well with alcohol in the tummy, but I didn't really care. It's AMERICAN, and when in rome right? You just cannot have one without the other. case closed.

So we want to thank again everyone who came this week. Thanks to Ben for bringing all his friends. Ben works with me at Vice, and seemed to be keen on the whole supper club thing, so I was really happy he booked. I really liked the crowd last night. I like cooking alot, but I realized that I also really enjoy meeting new people in this environment. Even though they were, for the most part, strangers, everyone was super friendly and receptive and kept offering to help out in the kitchen. I'm like "please, noooooo, don't look at our kitchen". All of Ben's friends seem to work in media, so we got into some enthused and geeky conversation about the internet. I have yet to figure out how the hell Four Square works.

Marlon and I want to thank Mara, Jay, Biftu and Konstantinos as well for joining us. I think it's very sweet how supportive you guys are.

Anyway, looking forward to next week. Keep checking back for a new menu, we might tweak it this week.

xx
Angela & Marlon





0 comments:

Post a Comment